On Sept. 30, the first debate will be held between George W. Bush and John F. Kerry. It will focus on foreign policy.
Below are highlights some of the differences.
* Favors international cooperation to ensure
* Pledges to use diplomacy and other tools, not just military power, and to rebuild alliances.
* Has plan to end Iraq quagmire.
* Advocates restored funding to firefighters,
* Favors unilateral, “first-strike” military policies over diplomacy and international law.
* Has withdrawn from and scorns multilateral treaties and international bodies.
* No plan to end Iraq war.
* Cut funding to firefighters, police, veterans.
* Favors environmental standards and workers rights to be written into trade deals.
* Opposes environmental standards or workers rights in trade deals.
* Favors legislation to offer citizenship pathway, family reunification and workplace rights.
* Favors “temporary worker” program only with no possibility of citizenship and no workplace rights protection.
On weapons of mass destruction:
* Favors global nuclear weapons reduction.
* Weakened nuclear weapons control agreements, favors creation of new generation of nukes.
* Favors energy “independence” and job creation by developing renewable, clean energy.
* Started war for oil; energy corporations are key component of Bush base.
Host a debate house party on Sept. 30! • Act. Organize. Vote.