The Alliance for Retired Americans and the Coalition on Human Needs are among organizations hosting a toll free number to call U.S. senators today and tomorrow, July 14-15, at 1-866-251-4044. This is a critical time for you to pick up the phone and voice your opposition to any plans to:
* cut Social Security’s cost-of-living adjustment (COLA), supposedly to reduce the deficit. Social Security doesn’t contribute a penny to the deficit, and/or
* raid Social Security by using your contributions to give a tax break to Wall Street banks, Big Oil and other corporations.
Tell your senators:
* NO cuts to Social Security!
* NO cuts to Social Security’s COLA!
* NO Social Security payroll tax holiday!
The ARA also is urging calls to the White House.
The Coalition on Human Needs says any agreement to reduce the deficit must protect millions of vulnerable Americans who rely on federal support to meet their critical needs – don’t put the burden of deficit reduction on their shoulders.
And, the coalition says, any agreement needs to protect vital government investments – such as public infrastructure, education and job training – that are essential to reviving and advancing our nation’s economy. Other such needs are investment in green technology and the environment – all of which create jobs and help our economy grow.
Any agreement must include essential and fair revenue increases – tax the rich, and end the corporate tax break gravy train.
And, save big-time by cutting our bloated military spending.
Social Security is not the problem. So take it off the table.
Make that phone call today.